After a DUI, it may feel like the world is spinning. It can result in the loss of your drivers license and sky-high car insurance rates. While it can be overwhelming, there is help available in most cases.
The penalties you could face will be determined by a court of law. Usually, this depends on how many instances of DUI you've experienced, the circumstances and the liability risk you pose. Some of the most likely penalties for DUI include:
- Jail time: In cases of repeated arrest, you may spend some time in jail for a DUI. You may or may not be eligible for bail.
- Fines: The fines you pay will be varied, but there will more than likely be fees and court costs to pay for the situation.
- License suspension: Many people find their drivers license suspended after just one DUI or DWI. For others with lesser charges, you may be able to get your license back within a few months or with the requirement of an SR-22 certificate.
- Treatment: For repeated offenders, it is common for judges to order alcohol or drug abuse treatment. You may also be required to participate in community service and use an ignition control device in your car.
- Insurance costs: In nearly all cases, your insurance rates will go up significantly. The national average increase is as high as 75 percent.
If you are facing a DUI or DWI, it pays to have an attorney by your side. After you've been convicted, it is essential to shop for car insurance that's affordable. You can expect to pay more for auto insurance, but you may still find some affordable solutions. Some auto insurance carriers offer specialized policies to those who face DUI charges. So, it is valuable to seek out several quotes to find the most affordable solution possible.
We’ll help you find the coverage you need. Call Peachstate Insurance at (877) 997-2478 for more information on Macon SR-22 auto insurance.