One factor you cannot control impacting how much you pay for car insurance is your age.
Every auto insurance company rates a person based on his or her risk level. How much risk do you present to the insurer? Age can play a role in this in several ways. The next time you update your policy, ask your insurer if you qualify for a different rate since you are a bit older. What should you expect?
How Age Impacts Car Insurance Cost
Experienced drivers are less likely to have accidents. They are less likely to cause incidents of reckless driving. And, they are often less likely to drive at high speeds. The often cost less than, say, teen drivers or new drivers.
Teen and new drivers have the least amount of experience on the road. That’s why teen drivers cost more to insure. They lack this experience. Here are a few key factors to keep in mind:
- Young drivers will likely be in a higher risk group than drivers over the age of 21.
- Young male drivers are at the highest risk level. They often face the highest rates for auto insurance.
- Most individuals will see rates drop when they enter their mid-20s. This is true especially if they remain accident-free.
- Adult rates typically set in for both men and women by the age of 25. They remain in this range for most of an adult driver’s life.
- Car insurance rates can begin to increase in some older drivers if those drivers continue to drive but have accidents. This can sometimes be due to a higher risk of vision concerns or lessened reaction time.
For those who have the need for auto insurance, age isn’t something you can control. However, most other factors impacting auto insurance rates you can.
Talk to your agent about discounts, including bundling policies. You may also be able to reduce your rates by remaining accident-free and ticket-free for a year or more. For young, inexperienced drivers, maintaining good grades in school can help you to qualify for lowered insurance rates.
Age does play a role in how much you pay for auto insurance. However, other factors often play a bigger role. Learn more from your agent about how you can reduce your costs with a better policy fitting to your risk level.
We can help you get a fast, free Marietta auto insurance quote. Get in touch with us at 877.997.2478 if you have any questions.